Last night the Boston Bruins took on the Philadelphia Flyers at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Bruins secured the victory in their first two meetings with scores of 5-4 and 6-1. It goes without saying that the Flyers had an eye for redemption.

Coming into the night, the Bruins were well short handed with the absence of Jake DeBrusk, Ondrej Kaše, and Matt Grzelcyk. Slotting in for the injured B’s were wingers Anton Blidh and Anders Bjork, and Jakub Zboril on defense.

Just 12 seconds in, David Pastrnak executes a nifty through the legs deke, blowing by his defender and netting the first goal of the game. This was Pastrnak’s 3rd goal in 2 games, but his scoring would continue.

The Bruins dominated the first period with offensive zone time, but only put one goal past Carter Hart. The second period went back and forth between the two teams. Until Kevin Hayes, a Massachusetts native and Boston College Alum, buried a one time feed from Travis Sanheim with 4:31 to go.

The Bruins headed into the third period down by one and in need of an offensive spark. However, just 1:03 in Jakub Voracek potted an open net goal on Tuukka Rask thanks to another feed from Travis Sanheim. Just 7 minutes later the Flyers took advantage of a McAvoy turnover, leading to a 2 on 1. Joel Farabee ripped home a one time feed from Scott Laughton, putting the Flyers up 3-1 with little time remaining.

The Bruins once again needed to pull off a miraculous comeback if they wanted to secure a point or the victory. At 11:55 of the period, the Flyers were called for a hand on the puck. The Bruins moved the puck around until it found Pastrnak to Hart’s left side, leaving an open net to cut the lead down to 1.


With the period winding down and almost at its end, the Bruins were granted another opportunity when Kevin Hayes was penalized for hooking. 2 minutes remained on the clock, but Bruce Cassidy insisted on pulling Tuukka from goal. The B’s fired shot after shot at the net until the puck came free to a wide open Pastrnak, tying the game with just 15 seconds to go!

This was Pastrnak’s 9th career Hat Trick and his 5th goal in 3 games. The B’s completed the comeback, but the game wasn’t over. With 15 seconds remaining, the Bruins rushed into the Flyers zone and drew a crucial interference penalty.

The power play time carried over into OT, giving the Bruins a 4 on 3 advantage against the Flyers. Pastrnak, Krejci, Bergeron, and Marchand were the 4 B’s on the ice for overtime.

They quickly entered the Flyers zone and gained control. Passing the puck around to find an open man for the tally. Pastrnak found room for a slap pass to Bergeron, who buried the rebound off of Hart’s pad to secure the comeback victory for the Bruins. Pastrnak claimed the first star of the game with 4 points on the night, capping off the Bruins back to back comeback victories.

The B’s take on the Flyers once again on tomorrow at 7pm. They won’t play for 5 days though, as there was positive tests from the Sabres.

Follow me on Twitter: @bergergoat37

Leave a Reply