Revolution Bounce Back From Early Deficit; Draw Fire 2-2 in Opener

The Revs opened the 2021 campaign with a road tie with the Chicago Fire. New England came into the season as one of the favorites in the Eastern Conference, but they didn’t start off their season like it.

In minute five, Boris Sekulic received the ball on the right side of the box. His quick pass across the face of goal found Chicago’s star striker in Robert Beric. Beric was able to tap it home for the first Chicago goal. The second would come just a few minutes later. On a similar sequence, Beric picked up an assist to Luka Stojanovic. Stojanovic was wide open in the middle of the box, making for an early and efficient 2-0 lead for Chicago.

The Chicago domination did not last long. The Revs fought back quickly, cutting the deficit in half through Adam Buksa. Carles Gil whipped in a left footed corner kick straight onto the head of Buksa. Fire goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth had no chance to stop the well placed header.

The comeback was completed in minute 26 off a quick attack against the run of play. Brandon Bye’s long throw led Tajon Buchanan through down the right sideline. Buchanan was able to cross it towards the near post, where Gustavo Bou was standing. Bou finished off the chance to tie the game up at 2 a piece.

The rest of the game saw plenty of action, though neither side was able to grab the lead back. Both teams feel that they could’ve easily taken all three points from this game. The matched slowed down in the second half, though the final moments were the most dramatic of all.

In minute 86, Edward Kizza was granted perhaps the easiest opportunity of the match. Kizza had the ball given to him on a platter, but he slammed the crossbar with his header. The game stayed tied at 2 into stoppage time.

But, it still wasn’t over. In minute 92, DeJuan Jones received a controversial red card. The other question was in regards to where the foul occurred. Following a VAR review, they ruled that Jones would indeed receive a red card, and the free kick would result outside the box. Luckily, Turner saved it, and the Revolution finished off a 2-2 draw.

After a somewhat disappointing season opener, New England will play game number two next Saturday. The opponent will be DC United, a team that defeated New York City FC 2-1 in their first game. The Revs will host their first game at Gillette Stadium with fans since last March on Saturday at 8:00 PM.

Leave a Reply