For the first time since March 7th of 2020, Gillette Stadium welcomed its fans back into the stadium. While it wasn’t the most exciting show for the fans, the prospect of having them back is the more important fact. The Revs played host to DC United, a team coming off a hot 2-1 win against NYCFC a week ago.

The first half was slow and quiet, as DC followed the strategy of many others when visiting Gillette Stadium. The strategy consists of mostly defending, and a conservative style of play. Russell Canouse began the drama with his yellow card in minute 25. A few minutes later, Revolution debutant Arnór Traustason picked up a completely undeserved yellow card. On a common 50/50 challenge, Traustason was booked unfairly.

The first half contained just about nothing, the defenses were on top. The second half saw the game really begin to open up. Just moments into the second half, Brandon Bye opted for a solo run down the right sideline. Using his pace, he made his way down to the end-line, before whipping a cross into a dangerous area. While Gustavo Bou was in the area, it was DC defender Brendan Hines-Ike with the finish. An unfortunate double bounce off of Hines-Ike led to the lone goal of the game, but New England wasn’t complaining.

The remainder of the match consisted of physicality and an abundance of referee drama. In minute 56, Carles Gil barely rolled a left footed shot wide of the right post. Seconds later, Adam Buksa drove into the same area, only to push it past the right post as well. From that point on, the focus was shifted away from scoring, and more on defending.

Wilfrid Kaptoum went in hard with a challenge, and picked up a yellow card. Later on, Andrew Farrell would go into the book with a yellow as well. As tension continued to build, Revolution defender Henry Kessler was absolutely toppled inside the box during a corner kick, but the ref didn’t care much for it. Instead, he would award Adam Buksa a yellow card just minutes later. While the refereeing simply did seem one sided, the Revs were able to hold onto a 1-0 scoreline.

The Revs picked up 3 points, with some help. Matt Polster was far and away the man of the match for New England. Polster saw 88% pass success on 68 total touches. Matt picked up 8 ball recoveries, won 9 duels, and drew 4 fouls.

Following the Revolution’s 1-0 win over DC United, they now have four total points across their two matches. The Revs sit in third place out of 14 teams in the Eastern Conference. Next weekend, New England will stay home at Gillette Stadium to play face against Atlanta United FC. The game will kickoff on Saturday, May 1st at 7:00 PM EST.


Leave a Reply