The Red Sox allowed 17 hits, eight runs in their second consecutive loss to the Houston Astros. Here’s a recap:
- Renfroe’s miraculous throw: With two outs in the top of the first inning, Yordan Alvarez lifted what looked like an RBI single into right field with Alex Bregman hustling at second base hustling home. But Hunter Renfroe, deep in right field gunned him home to retire the side.
- Eovaldi labors in start: Nathan Eovaldi went 5.2 innings, allowing five runs off a season-high 11 hits, walking three and striking out just five. Four of the runs Eovaldi gave up came in the third. Eovaldi moves to 7-3. dropping his third game of the year. His ERA moves to 4.11 as well.
- Bogaerts smacks one over Monster: Xander Bogaerts scorched a ball 413 feet, with an exit velocity of 103.7 MPH in the fourth for his 13th homer of the season, and for the Red Sox third and final run of the game.
- ‘Stros put game out of reach in eighth: After a run was tallied in the seventh off Garrett Whitlock to make it 6-3, Houston added two more in the eighth inning with an Alex Bregman two-run homer to make it 8-3. Valdez ran into some more trouble after that, loading the bases but was able to get out of it.
- Javier dominates through four: Christian Javier replaced Jake Odorizzi after the sixth inning and shuffled through the Red Sox lineup with ease. The righty threw four scoreless innings, allowing just one hit. He also was awarded the save.
- What’s next? The Red Sox hope to avoid the sweep with Eduardo Rodriguez on the mound Thursday against Zack Greinke and the Astros. First pitch at 7:10 PM EST.
(Photo of Xander Bogaerts/AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)