The New England Patriots have made their final roster cuts. Here is a list of notable players who were either waived or cut by the Pats:
- Adams spent four years with the Green Bay Packers before coming to New England this off-season. The fifth-year defensive tackle could not find a spot on the Patriots roster which has a strong front seven.
- Bryant was able to make his way off the practice squad and on to the 53-man roster during the 2020 season. However, this year the undrafted free agent was unable to make the cut.
- Colbert is a fifth-year defensive back who spent time in San Francisco, Miami, and New York (Giants). He was beaten for a touchdown in the final pre-season game.
- While LaCosse was unlikely to make a roster with a crowded tight end room, he has been signed to the practice squad. Do not be surprised if he makes the 53 man roster at some point due to an injury.
- Another defensive tackle that could not make the cut amidst a crowded front seven. The former William and Mary standout will no longer be on the Patriots roster.
- By far the most surprising and impactful cut of the bunch, not just on the Patriots, but in the entire NFL. Newton, a former MVP, started for the Patriots last year and appeared to be in the good graces of coach Bill Belichick. There was significant media coverage around the quarterback competition between Newton and Mac Jones, but Newton’s release makes it clear who won the job.
- Alex Redmond is a fifth-year guard who spent the previous four seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals.
- Ross, a third-year defensive back, was only able to see action in one game last season. He spent the majority of the year on the practice squad.
- The 22-year-old tackle was selected in the sixth round of the 2021 draft. Tackle remains a strong position on this Patriots team, and it is understandable why there was not a roster spot for Sherman.
- Another defensive tackle who could not make the final 53. Spence is an 8 year veteran, with this season being his ninth in the NFL if he finds a spot on a roster.
- Virgin was an undrafted free agent who was originally signed by the Houston Texans in 2017. He played three seasons with the Detroit Lions before joining the Patriots for this year’s training camp.
- Wilkerson is a 24-year-old receiver who was signed as an undrafted free agent after the 2020 draft. He dropped an excellent pass from Mac Jones in the first preseason game that would have resulted in a touchdown.
- This cut may come as a surprise to some Patriots fans. Zuber reportedly played well during various periods of training camp. He also caught a touchdown pass from Mac Jones in the final preseason game. However, it was not enough to make the final roster.
- Ferentz, a center, was waived by the Patriots
- This comes as a pretty big surprise, as Folk performed fairly well last season. Rookie Quinn Nordin showed major inconsistencies during the preseason, but beat Folk out for the job
- Bower is a fourth-year outside linebacker. He was waived by the Patriots.
- The former seventh-round pick Cunningham was waived by the Patriots.
Michael Jackson Sr.
- Jackson Sr. was very inconsistent at cornerback for the Patriots this preseason. He had a particularly poor performance in the final preseason game. Jackson was ultimately waived by the Patriots
- Nixon, a wide receiver who was Ernie Adams’s final selection as a member of the Patriots organization, was ultimately waived.
- Thurman plays defensive tackle and is one of many DTs who was cut or waived by the team. He was an undrafted free agent back in 2018.
(Photo by Barry Chin/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)