The Patriots routed the Browns Sunday afternoon,45-7, extending their winning streak to four games.
It was all New England after Cleveland opened the game with a touchdown, as a 15-play drive that ended in a Mac Jones three-yard touchdown pass to Hunter Henry tied the game up. The momentum just kept surging, as Baker Mayfield was picked off by Kyle Dugger — all it took was just a five-yard rushing score from Rhamondre Stevenson, who filled in as RB1 amid Damien Harris’ absence, to take the 14-7 lead.
Following the one-play drive, Jones hooked up with Kendrick Bourne for a 23-yard touchdown pass to cap off a successful 11-play drive. Another stop from New England gave them the ball right back, and a field goal from Nick Folk in the dying seconds of the first half took the Pats into halftime with a 17-point lead.
After both teams opened the third quarter with punts, the Pats found their way into the end-zone again; and again, it was via the feet of Stevenson. A two-yard score on the ground made it 31-7.
The rout continued to get uglier, as this time Brian Hoyer found Henry in the end-zone again with another three-yard pass for six to make it 38-7 to start the fourth. Mayfield — who had previously been dealing with a shoulder injury this week, left the game with a knee injury. New England’s defense then denied Case Keenum and Cleveland’s entry into the end-zone with a red-zone fourth-down stop.
Hoyer would then lead the team downfield again and find Jakobi Meyers for his first career receiving touchdown, as he trotted in for an 11-yard tally.
The Pats will take on the Falcons next week, in Atlanta, on Thursday Night Football.
- Jones went 19-for-23, hurling for 198 yards and passing for three touchdowns
- Stevenson had 20 carries for 100 yards; also had four catches for 14 yards
- Bourne tallied four catches for 98 yards, with a touchdown; also had three carries for 43 yards on the ground
- Meyers posted four catches for 49 yards
- Hoyer hurled a perfect 3-for-3 for 85 yards
- Henry had four catches, two of them being touchdowns
- Dugger, who had an interception, led the team in tackles (8)
- Matt Judon, Lawrence Guy, and Dont’a Hightower all had a half sack
- Tashawn Bower, elevated from the practice squad for this week, had a sack
- Deatrich Wise Jr. had 1.5 sacks
(Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)