The Boston Red Sox have optioned Tyler Danish to Triple-A Worcester and have activated Rich Hill from the bereavement list, the team announced Sunday. The lefty Hill will start Sunday for the Sox after spending five days on the list.
Hill was placed on the list following the death of his father Lloyd Hill Sr. last Friday, though he pitched on Marathon Monday, something that Lloyd ran 37 times, just three days after the tragedy. Hill allowed four runs across 4 2/3 innings.
The 42-year-old, the oldest pitcher in the majors, was given an extra couple days as they pushed his start back. Through two outings, the southpaw is 0-1 while possessing a 9.00 ERA, allowing nine runs across nine innings to go along with a 5.35 xFIP.
Danish, 27, had a strong three innings across two relief outings with the team, not allowing a run nor a hit on just two walks.
Here are some notes from the Red Sox notebook today:
- Josh Taylor is with Double-A Portland now with Triple-A Worcester on the road; has likely four to five more rehab outings left; he hasn’t made an outing in seven days due to him being marked as a close contact — his vaccination status forced him to go into protocols; he’ll pitch today most likely
- J.D. Martinez out of the lineup again Sunday for the fourth straight day: “I’m feeling good,” he said Saturday. “I’m going to try running today to see how I feel. I’m hoping I’m (ready) soon. Next couple of days probably”
- Alex Cora is feeling better but does have mild symptoms; he’s making progress, though no idea when he’ll rejoin team; needs two negative tests and no fever to rejoin
- No timetable for Jonathan Arauz either
- Kevin Plawecki is ‘doing well,’ should meet team in Toronto at some point, said acting manager Will Venable
- According to Christopher Smith of MassLive.com, all of Boston’s top hitters are vaccinated and will be in Toronto this week
- Danish will probably reclaim a roster spot in Toronto with some players, including Tanner Houck, going on the restricted list due to their vaccination spot
- Houck piggybacks Hill today